Sunday, April 5, 2020

Familiars And Other Strangers

To say I just came out of the broom closet is an understatement. In truth, I don't match the life and living of an ideal witch. I don't mix potions and have never cursed anyone (well, not that I'll ever admit that), and I have especially never danced sky-clad around a full moon's light. Unless you count that time I was going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, saw a mouse, and freaked out to the point I appeared to have river danced my way from one room into another.

Yes, dear friends, I'm not a typical witch. The only potions I concoct are mixed drinks and iced teas. My path is peculiar, to say the least but we'll learn more about that as we go along. As far as wearing black all the time, blue is more my color. Also, I'm absolutely terrified of spiders. Yep...you heard it here, folks: a witch terrified of spiders! Go figure.

Of course, even though I felt I was born a witch, I only and finally grasped the concept I was a witch about a year ago. In truth, my family were witches. being from the Bible belt, they just never admitted it. To them, witches should be burned at the stake according to the Bible's standpoint. Again...go figure!

So, what exactly does a witch blog about for the first time? Well, this is what I've decided to make as my first blog entry. I've decided to blog about my familiar. Every witch needs a familiar to help keep them stay grounded, right? Well, instead of one I have seven. I didn't choose Onyx because she's a black cat and something witches should have. She's the only one of the seven who can stay still long enough for a photo shot. My familiars consist of three cats (two that are black and gray, and their Mom is a striped, multi-colored cat), and four dogs (a jack russell, a boston terrier, a min-schnauzer and a chihuahua). Yes, I'm not even joking.

If you are reading this with the intent of reading the chronicles of a fully-practicing witch who spends his time dedicated to the craft, you will become very disappointed. Some will read this blog and think I'm not taking my gifts seriously enough, while others will read this and feel he or she is not alone. I'm not as dedicated as I should be. I'm just your non-traditional "man-witch" whose life is far from impressive but finds magick in the tiniest things of life. There are things outside of magick I find to be magick within itself, like aromas and sights and even the beauty of solar lights in a garden. Even stray thoughts, music and memories are magick to me.

To sum up, magick is in everything!

So, come along with me. We might read a tarot deck or pour a glass of wine and vent about the day. Just know that despite the hodge-podge nature of this particular blog the world might have a certain way of doing everything, but always know real magick comes from coloring outside the lines every once in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment